There are so many businesses out there that are crying out for the right cybersecurity experts and aren’t finding anyone for the job. The reason that they can’t find the right professionals is that there are not enough of them out there that have learned the right skills. Those that already know the relevant skills in cybersecurity are usually employed elsewhere, which makes it even harder to get the necessary help.
If you are in the market for a cybersecurity role, then it makes sense that you would do what you can to gain as many skills as possible so as to make yourself desirable to potential employers. This is especially important if you have the chance to work in network security as a freelancer. Let’s take a look at some of the best skills you could gain to be the desired cybersecurity engineer.
Exceptional Work Habits
As with any role, you need to have an eagerness to learn, and for this, the following habits will be useful to you:
- Enthusiasm to get stuck into technical questions and examine the answers from every angle
- An understanding of the common vulnerabilities with the internet and business websites
- Analytical and diagnostic skills have to be strong
- An awareness of practices, policies and procedures in cybersecurity
There have to be soft skills under your belt as well as the technical ones (which we will come to in a moment). These will help you to grow within the role and better at it as time moves forward:
- Active and critical listening skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to clearly articulate complicated concepts
There are a lot of technical skills that cybersecurity pros will need to have, and that means there is no definitive list to work with. In the cybersecurity and IT security fields, there are a lot of shared technical foundations. Tech pros should be able to understand:
- Network architecture
- Virtualization software
- Operating systems management across a range of systems
- Standard programming languages (Java/C++)
- Scripting languages (Python/PHP)
Some employers want to see certifications before employment, including:
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Information Systems Security Architecture Professional (CISSP-ISSAP)
- CISA (Certified Information Security Auditor)
- GCIH (GIAC Certified Incident Handler)
- Information Systems Security Engineering Professional (CISSP-ISSEP)
- CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
- OSCP (Offensive Security Certified Professional)
- Information Systems Security Management Professional (CISSP-ISSMP)
How To Learn The Skills You Need
Most cybersecurity experts are expected to have a Bachelor’s degree in a computer-related field. However, much of the skills learned to be a cybersecurity engineer come from being on the job. Internships paid positions in business and freelancing all give you the chance to learn the skills that you need and improve. As a cybersecurity specialist, you need to know how to be analytical, solve network problems, use network security software and be alert to the vulnerabilities of a website.
What A Business Needs To Know About Cybersecurity
At any time of day, your business website is at risk. Hackers and other thieves are always going to be looking for ways to get onto your website and learn your protected information. If they can spill your secrets, they put your business in jeopardy. So, it makes sense that alongside the security software you put in place, you have an expert on hand to ensure that your business remains as secure as possible. When you turn to Fielengineer.com, you can get the expert freelancers that you need to work with you on your business security at any time you need them, without the commitment of training them or paying a full salary with benefits. Instead, you pay a daily rate for the best possible freelancers for your business via our platform.
Why Choose FieldEngineer.com
You need to keep your business as secure as possible, and that means hiring the best freelance cybersecurity engineers around to monitor your website and ensure that you are protected at all times. At FieldEngineer.com, we have designed a platform or your business to hire cybersecurity engineers as you need them. We have a pool of 40,000+ system administrators and engineers in around 180+ countries. You have a job that needs doing, and FieldEngineer.com has the freelancers to do it. Contact us today, and we will get you set up on our system to find the best possible cybersecurity engineers for your project now.